The New Swedish Gambling Law
Here are some of the most important legislation points:
- Companies will pay 18% tax for commercial gaming.
- 0% tax for non-profit gambling activities.
- Players will only be able to get 1 welcome bonus/licensed casino.
- There are 6 different types of licenses.
- License prices vary from 400.000 to 700.000 SEK.
- 18+ Age to play at online casinos and 21+ for landbased casinos.
- Players can pause their accounts on all casino sites.
- Slots will have a 3s delay between spins.
- Withdrawals are only allowed on the same payment service as the player made the deposit.
The Swedish Gambling Authority announced that with the new license system, everyone will count as a new player in their eyes. So every player that already had a welcome bonus before the new legislation can now go on their preferred casino and take the welcome bonus again.
Casinos will only offer one welcome bonus to every customer, ending the special bonus offers that swedish players were used to in the past. This means players that want a casino bonus, will have to search for new licensed casinos where they can receive the welcome bonus as there will no longer receive a second bonus offer.
The Swedish Gambling Authority can also order the ISP (Internet Service Provider) to show a warning message when players will visit unlicensed online casinos. The message shall inform visitors that the casino doesn't have a license in Sweden, it is not under Swedish oversight and that the player is liable for the tax on any winnings they might get by playing there.
The new law also affects Slot Providers, they need to update all their slot games to be 100% compatible with the new Swedish gambling law. This made a lot of slot games to disappear from all the swedish casinos until the providers will update them to be compatible with the law.
Casino Streamers from Sweden are also affected by the new gambling law, they no longer receive deposit bonuses as they did in the past for promoting online casinos.
This new change obligates them to use raw cash on all deposits they make for the stream, making a lot of small/new streamers to stop playing or relocate in a different country to be able to continue their casino stream.